Reed Muse 1C/3P Turntable Lab Report

Lab Report

Turntables equipped with DC motor solutions have a somewhat chequered history in our lab tests with many exhibiting a very low-rate drift, but the edge-driven Muse 1C, powered via an outboard 12V SBooster BOTW mkII supply, proved rock-solid with an absolute speed accuracy of –0.03% and a peak-wtd sub-5Hz wow of <0.01%. The sharpness of the driving peak in Graph 1 would put the best direct-drives to shame but there's also a discrete ±6Hz wow (which would correlate if one DC 'roller' was rotating at 200rpm) that increases the total peak wow to 0.04%. This peak is visible in the unwtd magnitude spectrum [not shown here] as are broad clusters of noise between 10-15Hz and 60-80Hz at ~75dB below the 1kHz/5cm/sec reference output. These contribute to the uncorrelated, noise-like shoulders on Graph 1 and the modest 0.03% peak-wtd flutter, and also manage to punch through the DIN-B weighting curve of the bearing rumble test to the tune of –67.9dB. However, and more importantly, the combination of the slightly under-sized spindle, the composite platter and leather mat draw the through-groove rumble down to a very fine –73.2dB, putting the Muse 1C in the 'top drawer'.

The partnering 12in 3P tonearm, equipped with a Cocobolo wood arm wand, shows a similar low-Q beam resonance at ~60Hz that we observed with the Reed 5A 'tangential-tracking'/double-pivot tonearm [HFN Jul '23], although the 3P retains the low friction/stiction multi-unipivot without the tracking error compensation of the 5A. Again, there's a clean high-Q mode at 235Hz [see CSD waterfall, Graph 2] with harmonics at 470Hz, 600Hz and 870Hz – resonances that will change with choice of wood and wand length. The high 19g effective mass suggests compatibility with low compliance MCs. PM


Wow and flutter re. 3150Hz tone at 5cm/sec (plotted ±150Hz, 5Hz per minor division)


Cumulative resonant decay spectrum for Reed 3P tonearm, illustrating various structural support and tube vibration modes (100Hz-10kHz over 40msec)

Turntable speed error at 33.33rpm 33.32rpm (–0.03%)
Time to audible stabilisation 2-3sec
Peak Wow/Flutter 0.04% / 0.03%
Rumble (silent groove, DIN B wtd) –73.2dB
Rumble (through bearing, DIN B wtd) –67.9dB
Hum & Noise (unwtd, rel. to 5cm/sec) –60.8dB
Power Consumption 6-12W
Dimensions (WHD) / Weight 485x140x305mm / 15kg
Prices (turntable/arm): £9998/£4298 (wand and colour options are extra)

Supplied by: Absolute Sounds Ltd
0208 971 3909